Newsflash: Tom Cruise is speaking at Yahoo! tomorrow! That's right, Mr. Scientology is going to be hanging out in URL's, live and in-person.
Let's all hope that he shares a Yodel with us and that it looks a bit like this:
So, some people are expecting it to be a train wreck. Others are annoyed that Yahoo!'s
paying someone [inviting someone] who seems kind of wacky/preachy/crazy to speak. Me? I expect that it'll be rather tame, rather scripted and perhaps surprisingly fun. The guy's an actor right? He gets paid the big bucks to entertain and although recently, he's been entertaining us with antics that aren't on the big screen, I'm pretty sure that a corporate speaking gig is a pretty routine event for him.
Especially since all of our questions have to be pre-submitted... Yup, that's right, us employees get to ask questions. BUT, we have to submit them ahead of time. It makes total sense, if I was organizing this, I'd set it up this way as well, in order to avoid people like me :)
But, just once, I'd love it if an event like this occurred and it was totally unscripted and off-the-cuff. Since I can't have that, I've decided that I'd at least like to put together some questions that I wish we could ask Maverick tomorrow.
(Of course, remember, these are just jokes and just my opinions, affiliated in no way with Yahoo! I do, however, blame/thank a few of my friends for inspiration..)
- “Mr. Cruise, will you please stop being glib?”
- “Wow, you’re short in person. That’s all I had to say."
- “Seriously dude, spill the beans. What’s it like to nail Katie Holmes?”
- “Umm yeah, same question, except for Nicole Kidman..”
- “You're everyone's problem. That's because everytime you go [on] the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.”
- “You still owe me a new couch Tom. You KNOW how I hate shoes on my couch!” - e-mail from O. Winfrey
- “Can you show us your e-meter?”
- “So, who makes more money, you or the head of your church?”
- “Were you upset that you didn’t get to star in Battlefield Earth?”
- “Let’s be honest here. You’re nuts. Certifiable. What I’m trying to say really is, in your own words, ‘Help me help you!’”
What would you ask if you had the chance?
Unedited, funny or serious, comment and I'll throw some of the good ones up into the list.
**Quick Update** As was mentioned in a comment, there was no payment for Tom Cruise's appearance - Terry mentioned it in his introductions. I'll update later with an actual post about the event, which was very interesting and fun.